To insure a smooth application process, please read everything thoroughly.
Based upon available resources, the Brooklyn Music School (BMS) is pleased to be able to provide as much assistance as possible for adults, families and children programs. Financial Aid awards are based on a review of the applicant's income, expenses and extenuating circumstances. It is the hope of BMS to never turn away anyone from a program because of inability to pay. Financial assistance may not be combined with any other form of involvement or service to or for BMS.
To evaluate your individual needs, BMS requires as much information as possible about your financial situation. Certain items are mandatory and your Financial Assistance Application will be considered incomplete until all those items are submitted. Once the complete application package is received, it takes at least 2-4 weeks to process and review.
how the process works
- Student is enrolled in BMS classes and an initial payment is made
- Online scholarship application is submitted
- Supplementary documents are to be submitted in person at the Brooklyn Music School
- Student attends at least one month of classes (during this time, we evaluate attendance, practice ethic, and general student citizenship. i.e. adhering to the code of conduct)
- At the end of the four-week trial period, an award of between 5-30% is given to the student
To qualify for Financial Aid the student must be enrolled in a BMS class for at least 4 weeks then, based on need, the award is determined using a sliding scale that considers family financial resources and number of dependents
How do I apply?
Please complete the form below. All supplementary documents should be turned in to the BMS registration desk.
Required Information to Submit
- Completed Application Form
- A copy of your most recent Income Tax Return (IRS Form 12040) with copies of all supporting W-2 forms
Submit information as applicable to your situation
- If you are receiving SSI, food stamps, Medicaid or Medicare, please submit a copy of the Award Letter.
- If you are employed, please submit at least 4 weeks of current pay-stubs. If you do not receive a pay-stub, a Salary Verification Form ACD1038 must be submitted.
- If you are self-employed, you must submit your latest business and personal Income Tax return.
- If you are unemployed, you must submit your State Unemployment documentation.
Optional Information to Submit
- Telephone, utility and other monthly bills (e.g. Rent) for the previous three months that would serve as backup to your claim of inability to pay the full program fee.
NOTE: Please do not include originals of any documentation, as they will not be returned. And, for your security, all information is confidential and treated with the utmost sensitivity.
Important note: Persons interested in applying for financial aid are required to register for a full year, pay the $30.00 registration fee and the first payment installment of the class.