To make it possible for everyone, regardless of their background and resources, to be able to experience the joy of music and the artistic and intellectual benefits of musical performance.
The Brooklyn Music School views music and performance as the birthright of all people, an essential way that human beings connect with others and explore their creativity. The study of music has been demonstrated to enhance academic learning and helps to develop discipline and confidence that will serve children well throughout their lives.
As part of our vision of reinventing the community music school for the 21st Century, BMS is dedicated to:
- Making high quality musical instruction approachable and affordable to a wide range of students
- Creating frequent opportunities for performance for our students and cultural enrichment for our community
- Representing a wide range of musical traditions, including European, African, Middle Eastern, and American to represent the diversity of Brooklyn's musical talent
- Offering a warm and welcoming space for families and individuals to explore new talents and make lasting friendships
We make available access to the performing arts regardless of income, age, previous experience, or professional aspirations. In particular, we seek to help those whose artistic voices are least often heard.
What We've Achieved In JUST the PAST TWO YEARS!
- Doubled the number of students taking private lessons to 350
- Achieved sold-out status for our After-school and Summer Institute programs
- 80% of students between ages of 15-25 receive some form of scholarship through our Music Mentor Program
- Doubled our operating budget while substantially reducing our debt
- Grown our outreach program to serve 1,500 students, up from just 100, in communities including Brownsville, East New York, Bedford Stuyvesant, Midwood, Queens, and of course Fort Greene
- Performance opportunities grown from 12 to 50 a year at venues including Carnegie Halls, NYC parks, clubs in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and a tour of Europe